Sunday, August 12, 2012

No. 2 : Hanoi

DAY TWO: HANOI
It was an early 4:00am start this morning.  I didn't sleep much and wandered around the airport in delirium until boarding time.  I bought some coffee and a curry puff to eat on the plane.  After I ate the curry puff, I put a scarf over my head to block the light and slept for the next three hours. 

Once I arrived, I still had about an hour and half before Ryan's flight was due to arrive.  I found a broken pair of sunglasses in my purse, listened to two Radioloab podcasts and dozed a bit. When I woke up, it was already nearly 11:00.  I asked around to see if the China Air flight was delayed but apparently it had arrived forty five minutes prior.  As I was trying to figure out what to do next, I spotted Ryan who had been looking for me for forty five minutes.  Apparently there are two entrances to the immigration area and we each only thought there was one so we stayed close by them on opposite sides of the terminal.



It was about an hour drive into Hanoi and by the time we arrived at our hotel, I was starving.  We wandered to a restaurant called Newday Restaurant.  It was absolutely delicious.  I got iced coffee, spring rolls, a papaya salad and fried pork ribs in garlic and chili.  Ryan got some soup and soft shelled crab. 


After lunch we went for a wander around town towards an antique collection called 54 Traditions.  It was beautiful and we learned a lot of new things from the owner Mark.  Ryan bought a couple neat finds.  I considered buying some prints but talked myself out of it.  Instead, I bought a couple tops and sunglasses to replace the broken ones from earlier.














Off to bed now.  Early morning pick up to head to Halong Bay. 

5 comments:

  1. Did you cut your hair???? Or is it just pulled back? Glad you got there safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no, not the Ray-Spaces!! Enjoy your trip, we miss you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Need answers to the haircut question!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Those poor Ray-Spaces. Also, no haircut, my hair was just up and doing something insane. It is longer than ever and growing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great pictures! Ryan looks more buff too :) Can't wait for more updates!

    ReplyDelete