Friday, August 24, 2012

No. 14 : Lakes, Oceans and Hotsprings

DAY FOURTEEN: All over North Bali
We have now seen a lake, a river, an ocean, a waterfall and a hot spring!  Wonderful!  The entire day was spent on the motorbikes riding through the winding mountain roads in search of opportunity in a new land.  We stumbled upon a massive temple, took some photos and continued on towards the lake.  Passing monkeys and steep cliffs and cold air, we finally came across Lake Buyan and stopped to photograph some monkeys and beautiful scenery.








As we were trying to buy some strawberries, we randomly came across a bunny farm.  It was so cute I couldn't help but stop to take pictures.  We filled up our gas tanks and headed back in towards the coast and stopped on a nice strip of beach next to a bunch of huge ornately designed boats.  We tried to take more underwater pictures but they didn't turn out as clear.  If you look closely at the picture of me doing the handstand, you'll see that my body is covered in sand from the fallen attempts it took to capture that picture.






 We spent the late afternoon looking for the hot springs and had nearly given up on them when we spotted the sign Air Panas (hot water).  We paid our fifty cent entrance fee and walked the path towards the hot spring.  I don't think I have mentioned this yet but Ryan appears to have developed some type of illness.  He is congested and continues to make the most strange coughing sound.  I feel like there is constantly a crying seal in my presence.  We hoped the healing powers of the mysterious hot springs would help to cure him.  

I don't know if they worked for him but I'm pretty sure I left the hot springs with a number of diseases I did not enter with.  I started to feel pretty gross about being in the lukewarm water with a bunch of strangers I can only assume were disease filled.  On top of that, it was this day that I realized I hadn't showered in five days.  In fact I hadn't showered since Malaysia.  A whole other country away.  I decided I should go rinse off.  A kind man let me take some of his shampoo and I left feeling clean and refreshed.  We managed to get to the beach right in time for sunset.  We had dinner at a little restaurant in Lovina and I inhaled a Greek salad and a club sandwich as though I hadn't eaten in months.


After dinner we each got a one hour massage.  I started falling asleep at the end and simply couldn't be bothered to get up so I stayed there and sleepily opened one eye and mumbled, "Satu lagi." (one more).  I slept through about 90 percent of the massage and woke up to the barking of a seal in the other massage area.  When we got back to the home stay I was covered in oil and didn't think I should go to sleep like that so, if you can believe it, I took ANOTHER shower.  I decided I would finally shave my legs, as my hair had grown to such lengths that I believe they were housing more than an acceptable amount of sea salt, sand, and possibly a myriad of other organisms.  Maybe even small fish.

3 comments:

  1. This post started off really cool with the amazing photos and neat monkeys, then I got grossed out by the lukewarm bacteria infested water and hairy legs.

    Sounds like Ryan has croup, Cody had that a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (kidding about croup, that's a childhood illness.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since all the drug labels are in Indonesian, we randomly picked one and am hoping for the best. - Ryan

    ReplyDelete