Saturday, August 25, 2012

No. 15 : Anturan to Ubud to Kerobokan

DAY FIFTEEN: The Last Full Day
I woke up feeling tired and wanting to sleep for two more weeks but we had things to do and places to see and food to eat.  I laid in bed not wanting to get up but eventually forced myself to jump up, put a five minute song on and time myself to see if I could pack up all my stuff before the song ended.  I was pretty much successful.  It was banana pancakes for breakfast.  After breakfast I schooled Ryan in a game of Bananagrams and then it was time to leave.  I went into the bathroom, took off my rings I bought in Vietnam, washed my hands (those Bananagram tiles have somehow become really filthy), said goodbye to the lovely Gede Homestay staff and met our driver Made.

As we were driving and chatting with Made, we discovered that Megan (my friend and coworker in Palembang) had just had him as a driver the day before!  "What are the odds?!" I thought to myself in bewilderment.  Ryan, who appears to be weaker and weaker at every moment, dozed off while Made taught me more Indonesian words.  During the ride, I peered down to admire my Vietnamese jewelry when I realized my fingers were bare.  I had left my rings in Lovina, at least an hour and a half away.  Made, being ever kind and helpful, called Ketut at the homestay and they found the rings.  I paid to have one of them motorbike it down to Ubud which cost more than the rings themselves but it wasn't too much and it was worth it for the peace of mind.  In celebration and out of hunger we stopped to get a suckling pig lunch.  Delicious.


When we got to Ubud, we dropped Ryan off near some antique shops while I headed to Putri Bali Spa.  If you recall my first Bali trip blogpost, you'll note that I made mention of this place as the most amazing massage I had ever received.  If you don't remember that it could be because I forgot to mention it, but it happened.  They remembered me and Wayan was available.  I was not disappointed.  I recommend this spa to anyone going to Bali.  It is simply THE BEST.  Wayan is quite possibly the strongest and smallest woman who has ever given me a massage.  After a shower, I headed out and guess who was waiting in reception after a spa treatment?  MEGAN!  I could not believe it.  As fate would have it, we were destined to meet up in Bali.  We both reunited together with Made, took Megan back to her place and went to find Ryan.  
We picked up Ryan where we had dropped him off.  He looked frail.  He said he had a headache so we stopped, got him some medicine the drove off to Kerobokan.  The sunset was beautiful as we drove through the rice paddies.  The sky was filled with kites.  It was gorgeous.  I couldn't stop taking photos out of my window.  Here are some.









It took us awhile to find Dewani Villa Resort but man was it worth it.  Tucked away in a title village surrounded by rice fields, this is a true gem of a place.  Our room is incredible.  I could really get used to this.  Poor Ryan dropped his bags, laid down and immediately fell asleep.  He told me to wake him up in fifteen minutes.  I went out on the deck and uploaded my photos underneath a clear sky of stars, the sound of crickets and the occasional motorbike.  Ryan slept for close to an hour and then we ordered a massive amount of food from two different restaurants.  On the menu: fettucine carbonara, bread & butter, papaya salad with seafood, caesar salad, grilled swordfish with mashed potatoes and vegetables, calamari, potato soup and panna cotta.  We are pigs.  But we're on vacation so we're going all out.  I put a paper napkin bib on to protect my new top but I've already managed to drop tartar sauce and a carrot on it.  I just want to eat like an adult, is that so much to ask?  Tomorrow we go to the airport but I am going to take advantage of this paradise villa we are in and swim until the second the cab comes to pick us up.




No comments:

Post a Comment