Saturday, August 11, 2012

No. 1: Let the Games Begin

DAY ONE: KUALA LUMPUR 
Surprisingly, my taxi showed up on time and I (despite the traffic) made it to the airport with plenty of time.  I was nervous about being hassled about my passport because I ran out of pages and the exit visa is stamped on a place where it shouldn't be. I made sure to be nice to everyone I saw and took a shower this morning so karma would be on my side.  I checked in, had an iced tea, chatted with an Indonesian and an Australian fellow, then went into the terminal.  The immigration man mentioned I didn't have any pages left and then he stamped my passport and let me through.

When I got to the terminal, I saw a woman who looked familiar and she waved to me with a big smile on her face.  Her absolute familiarity with me made me think that I needed to be absolutely familiar with her so I waved and smiled and headed over to her.  We had an entire conversation. She was going to Medan via KL for Idul Fitri. I told her about my trip. I asked her how she had been recently and we talked about how great it was to see each other and to both enjoy our trips.  I still have no idea who she is or how I know her.  My memory is so poor.  

When I got on the plane, I tried to shove my big backpack under the chair and the Chinese gentlemen sitting next to me was politely trying to say maybe it wouldn't fit and that he could help me put it in the overhead compartment.  I was like, "Oh yeah?  Watch me."  And then I couldn't fit it under the chair and he was so nice and helped me put it in the overhead.  "Very heavy," he said.  I looked at him embarrassed and shamefaced, "I know...I'm sorry."  I spent the plane ride reading In Defense of Food and thinking how right Michael Pollan is as I was wishing I had a bag of something processed and fried to eat then and there. 




After walking for what felt like eleven miles carrying what felt like a two hundred pound bag of marbles strapped to my back, I made it to the international terminal.  Again, I stood nervously casual at the immigration check point while the guy looked at my passport and said something to someone else who worked there, then pointed at me, then laughed, then gave me my passport back.  Whew.  Now I needed an ATM and a pay phone.  I got some money out after repeatedly entering in the wrong pin number and bought my bus transit ticket.  After that, I tried to figure out how to use the pay phone.  Those things are tricky.  I have not used one in over ten years.  It was pretty embarrassing.  I had to eventually ask some lady how to do it.  It was all high tech and confusing.  Once the call went through, I told James (owner of Rumah Putih B&B) I was leaving the airport and he said he'd come meet me at the station.  



After settling in, I took a stroll down the path to the little town area in their neighborhood.  I found a great shop that sold anything you could think of.  It reminded me of the Chinese supermarkets on Clement street where you can buy anything you want for really cheap.  I was mesmerized by their pen collection and could hardly tear myself away.  I talked myself out of buying more pens and wandered about until I came across the night market setting up.  It was bustling with hungry people ready to break their fast.





I couldn't stop taking pictures of the fascinating brightly colored beverages they were selling.  I regret not trying any but I was afraid I might regret trying it.  It was suspiciously opaque.







Aside from the pretty drinks, there was a lot of Padang style food, fried snacks, sweets, pastries and a little area selling meat, fruits and veggies.








As the market continued to set up, I started looking around for Indian food.  As I was walking around, this girl who looked about 11 started talking to me in Chinese.  We stood and chatted for awhile.  Her name was Yuki and she was fabulous.  She pointed me in the direction of some curry and naan.  I found the place and ordered some lychee juice, garlic naan and curry chicken.  As I sat down, Yuki came by and sat with me for awhile.  I asked her how old she was and she said 16.  I was so surprised.  I mean when I said she looked 11 I really meant she looked 9 so when she said 16 I was like WOW.  Girl is gonna age well!  She asked me how old I was and I told her to guess.  She said 18.  God bless that girl.






Keep it real Yuki, I love ya girl!  After my meal, I got a little turned around and wondered if I was going to be able to find where the B&B was.  Made it back looking like a hot mess.  Literally.  I was sweating profusely.  I was so sweaty that I took another shower for the second time today if you can believe it.  I like to think this means I don't have to take another shower for the next three days.  I met James' four year old daughter Anatasha and she showed me the treasure map she made.  First we had to slay a dragon, then we had to be dragons, then we had to be pirates.  But we found the treasure each time.  Now I need to go to bed so I can wake up at 4am to get to the airport on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment