Thursday, February 16, 2012



my sate man. he looks a lot friendlier in real life.  he sets up shop outside of the school everyday from 3:00-6:00.  he feeds me ten chicken skewers covered in delicious peanut sauce, chilies and diced cucumbers when i'm hungry.  it only costs me a dollar and he lets me practice speaking indonesian with him.  although it's not much and usually doesn't go beyond, "apa kabar?"  then he says, "baik baik, kamu?" and i say, "baik, aku lapar! mau satu sate ayam.  tidak lontong"  then his friend joins in and says, "kamu cantik!  kamu tidak suka lontong?"  and i say, "tidak suka lontong" then he'll point to the chillies and say, "cabe?"  and i say, "ya cabe" and he asks me if i want sauce, and onions and i say yes.  we have this conversation every single time.  then we laugh and sometimes we don't know what they other person is saying so we laugh some more and then i pay him a ten thousand rupiah bill (i'm a millionaire here!  thousands are like chump change to me!)  then i go back into school, open it up and finish it in two seconds and wish i had actually asked for two orders.

No comments:

Post a Comment