Tuesday, December 27, 2011

quick update

Selamat natal everyone! I hope you all enjoyed merry Christmases. Things here have been good so far minus a bout with some horrible illness I caught on Christmas day. I must have been a bad girl all year. I woke up Christmas morning at 4:00am with a headache so bad I thought my skull was going to split in half and my brains were going to explode and shoot out my head like a bloody eruption. After that, I put on mosquito repellant, attempted to eat breakfast, then went on a six hour trek through the jungle. I'll tell more about that later when I can upload the amazing pictures of eight wild orangutans we encountered at a very close distance and even got to feed! But this blog is all about complaining and making everyone feel bad for me so please, allow me to continue. During the trek I was gradually overcome with nausea and my head now felt like it was shrinking into the nape of my neck, throbbing during the process. When I finally returned back to our lodge via five tubes tied together by rope down a wild river dressed in an amazing palm leaf headdress and skirt (made for me by my guides), I unfortunately had to decline going down to the river for a dip as I thought I was already too near to death. During my freezing cold shower where the power went out, I thought my insides had literally frozen. I crawled into bed and shivered, fevered, felt intense stomach and head pains and tried to eat a piece of toast. Missed dinner and had to wake up early to take a three hour bus ride to Medan followed by a two hour plane ride to Jakarta followed by a two hour layover in Jakarta airport (the most obnoxious airport ever built) followed by a two hour plane ride to Lombok followed by a one and a half hour bus ride to our resort where we arrived at 1:00am. By that point I was certain I would not live to see another day. I felt like death and had by then obtained a fever and chills and was nearly doubled over in pain. From there I spent the evening liquidizing my assets and distributing them at the porcelain bank if you catch my drift. Yesterday was a good day though. Felt a little better and continued my cleansing process (it's a great diet this illness apart from how horrible it feels) and got a little sun burn on my nose. Today I might be ready to eat something as I am happy to announce I had a normal bowel movement not long ago. With that, I am ready to sign off. Love you all very much. More upon my return to Palembang! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Selamat Natal dan tahub baru!

1 comment:

  1. You pooooor thing! I wonder what it was...maybe some mosquito-borne illiness? Lots of those in SE Asia! Miss you! When is your next vacation time? I want you to visit Thailand!

    ReplyDelete